Sunday, February 15, 2009

Murial's Story Progress

I've posted a lot of information from today at the secure webpage dragynspice.com/sideways.php

Friends, remind me to send you a message if you didn't get the username and password to see it.

I reworked The Sentence according to the steps in How To Think Sideways course. Went through the process a few times after having a discussion with Murial. Ended up with a lot of pages of information, but I think I'm into the mode now. Cool thing is that a lot of the elements naturally fit my Sweet Spot Map.

The sentence elements that threw me were how to describe the internal struggle within her with so few words. I got The Sentence to 30 words, but wasn't sure I could. Finally, the themes settled themselves as Fear and Guilt versus Trust and Courage.

I know what I mean, but I'm not sure that's right. She fears trusting people and going out of her house, so its counterpart is Trust, but I also toyed with Faith. Finally figured that Faith can be part of Trust and thus Trust works. Her guilt holds her back from facing her fear, from thinking that she has a right to stand up to that fear, and thus Courage came into play. Courage to let go of her guilt and face the real world again.

From the Create A Character Clinic, I knew that Murial was a studious person, even though she had been homeschooled after the accident, and had actually gained enough knowledge to have a few degrees. They are online degrees, of course, and perhaps not even accredited, for she was seeking knowledge and avoiding recognition when she took the studies. But she had studied enough to earn the right to a title.

From looking at my Sweet Spot Map and her character, I figured out that she acquired the online degree of Anthropology and a certification in Naturalistic Studies. (or Holistic Healing...haven't quite settled on that yet). Thus, I was able to allow her to be "A partly paralyzed Anthropologist" for The Sentence.

This works well with justifying what made her choose the particular online game she did. It wasn't the community set up - it wasn't wanting to connect with people in that all meaning way - it was that the game is about discovering an ancient civilization, learning a new language and culture, being a true Anthropologistin a way that her real life didn't allow.

Well, that's about all that's settled at the moment. I've been connecting the dots and defining the project's needs for the rest of the day, and maybe tomorrow...after getting the car tire fixed. Sigh...darn real life intrusions! LOL

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from HtTS fellow student.
I read your musings on your LiveJournal, but was unable to comment. Just wanted to say that I really am fascinated with your idea, and about running the game and real live in parallel. Some stories do that with the present story and the back story.

Looking forward to reading more of your musings & then the story.
Tx

6:16 PM  
Blogger Zarffyn said...

I think your story has a lot of potential. There's a certain vulnerability that comes with a character in a situation like yours, and I think that can lead to a very good story, with several layers.

(tkeller from HttS)

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home